It’s studies like these that led to the massive trend in Omega fatty acids, specifically fish oil. The health benefits of fish oils are numerous and vary drastically. It’s unique for its ability to aid in the treatment of many different illnesses, from high cholesterol, depression, ADHD, anxiety, heart health, to weakened immune systems and eye disorders just to name a few.
You might be surprised to know that fish oils have been around for quite a while now.
Studies have been going on for the past decade to further understand the importance of Omega-3 and Omega-6 in our diets. With an increase in popularity in the recent years, it’s starting to become known as a must have in our bodies.
What does fish oil do for you?
We all need a diet rich in seafood (from all the various nutrients fish offers), but what about those who don’t like seafood nor have the money to buy quality seafood weekly? Fish oil supplements start looking like a great alternative.
The nutrient rich fats found in fish oil are what it’s mainly known for (such as Omega-3 and Omega-6), they are widely available in capsules or pure oil depending on what you like (similar to black seed oil).
Not to mention the mercury found in fish these days can cause unknown problems to our health, making fish oil even more important today.
Also Read: Castor Oil Benefits
How much fish oil do I need?
The SIDE EFFECTS of Omega 3 deficiency on your health can be taxing. A majority of illnesses can be traced back to your lack of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids . The amount of fish oil you need depends on your diet and health.
For most fish oil is necessary for the diet throughout the week, but for others who enjoy sea food more often, then the need naturally goes down.
Without those fatty acids in your system, inflammation will happen which can result in chronic illnesses.
How much omega 3 should you have a day?
Overall, most of the organizations recommend a minimum of 250-500 mg combined EPA and DHA each day for healthy adults.
However, higher amounts are often recommended for certain health conditions.
Bottom Line in perspective there is no official recommended daily allowance of Omega-3s.
What are the benefits of taking fish oil supplements?
The benefits of taking fish oil supplements are many, in fact, the less sea food that’s in your diet, the more value you have in taking fish oil supplements.
You probably have already heard many times where your doctor or health professional was talking about the importance of healthy fatty acids in your diet; fish oil contains Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids that are the essential fats your diet needs.
Also read: Green Tea Extract Benefits
Health Benefits of Fish Oil
There are hundreds if not thousands of health benefits of fish oil; some we know of and have concrete evidence for, while others have yet to be proven.
While the exact number of benefits fish oil has to offer may vary depending on the source, we can all agree that there is something for everyone to benefit from.
Whether it’s for brain health, heart health, or boosting overall mood & appearance, you can find something in fish oil to use on a daily basis.
The best way to get all the benefits of fish oil (from the omega to the anti-inflammatory properties) is by way of capsule or oil.
You can find many different brands that offer different sized doses on the net.
You won’t find a better return on your buck than investing in your health and well-being.
When analyzing all the benefits it has to offer, it’s no wonder why it’s one of the most popular supplements in the world today.
Also Read: Argan Oil Benefits
A lack of Omega-3 and Omega-6 can result in the following illnesses:
- Obesity– a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have a negative effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and health problems. Obesity is now a global epidemic that is plaguing millions of families, it’s worth considering the benefits of fish oil when looking at the pros & cons it has to offer.
- Heart Disease– Another great benefit of fish oil is its ability to promote healthy heart health; from heart disease, such as coronary heart disease, heart attack, congestive heart failure, and congenital heart disease, is the leading cause of death for men and women in the U.S. Prevention includes quitting smoking, lowering cholesterol, controlling high blood pressure, maintaining a healthy weight, and exercising.
- Asthma– a condition in which your airways narrow and swell and produce extra mucus. This can make breathing difficult and trigger coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. For some people, asthma is a minor nuisance. For others, it can be a major problem that interferes with daily activities and may lead to a life-threatening asthma attack.
- Cancer- also called malignancy is an abnormal growth of cells. Fish oil has proven to be an effective natural remedy for the treatment of some cancers. There are more than 100 types of cancer, including breast cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and lymphoma. While there isn’t any concrete evidence that states fish oil benefits cancer patients, it’s definitely worth looking into when comparing it against the more prevalent cancer treatment programs offered in today’s medical healthcare industry.
- Metabolic syndrome– is a cluster of conditions — increased blood pressure, a high blood sugar level, excess body fat around the waist and abnormal cholesterol levels — that occur together, increasing your risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Fish oil can help treat all of these to a certain degree; however, it’s worth consulting your doctor first if you have any combination of these ailments.
- Type II diabetes- once known as adult-onset or noninsulin-dependent diabetes, is a chronic condition that affects the way your body metabolizes sugar (glucose), your body’s important source of fuel.
- Autoimmune Disease- can cause abnormally low activity or over activity of the immune system. In cases of the immune system over activity, the body attacks and damages its own tissues (autoimmune diseases). Immune deficiency diseases decrease the body’s ability to fight invaders, causing vulnerability to infections.
- Macular degeneration- is caused by the deterioration of the central portion of the retina, the inside back layer of the eye that records the images we see and sends them via the optic nerve from the eye to the brain. The retina’s central portion, known as the macula, is responsible for focusing central vision in the eye, and it controls our ability to read, drive a car, recognize faces or colors, and see objects in fine detail.
- Arthritis- common arthritis symptoms of pain and stiffness are usually caused by degenerative arthritis (osteoarthritis). The more than 100 types of arthritis include rheumatoid arthritis and gout. A diagnosis is necessary in order to develop a treatment plan. Many people have found fish oil to be an extremely effective natural remedy for arthritis, as well as different types of joint pain. This can likely be traced back to the potent anti-inflammatory properties that are found in fish oil.
11. Pregnancy: According to leading research fish oil is very beneficial in pregnancy due to its DHA compound, which helps in the development of the eyes and brain. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats have also shown to help in the decrease of miscarriages, premature births, and low birth weight.
12. Depression after Birth: EPA and DHA have shown to reduce and be effective in elevating depression in cases where women lacked Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats. The positive effects on eyes and brain function have translated in mothers taking fish oils to produce children with enhanced hand and eye coordination.
13. Fertility: Research has shown boars with diets high in fish oil had enhanced healthy sperm count. While it varies person to person, the benefits fish oil offer when it comes to fertility are definitely worth investigating further. Many have claimed it to be the reason for their fertility to increase drastically since beginning to consume the oil.
14. Cholesterol level support: Having fish oils in your diet results in healthier cholesterol ratios. Adding 3-6 grams of fish oils promote healthy HDL and LDL ratios.
17. ADHD: Inattention, hyperactivity, restlessness, and impulsive behavior are all common symptoms of ADHD. Before throwing your kids on heavy medications like Adderall, try adding fish oils to their diet. According to research due to its effects on brain function, fish oils have been proven to be effective on ADHD. 60% of the brain is composed of fats, with the most amounts being polyunsaturated Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids.
Also Read: Benefits of Probiotics
18. Cancer: According to research fish oils have been proven to kill various cancers such as colon, prostate, and breast cancer. EPA/DHA have been found to be the primary reason for the decreased risk of prostate cancer. Even with the onset of cancer, fish oils have improved depression, digestion, liver, and kidney toxicity.Even with the onset of cancer, fish oils have improved depression, digestion, liver, and kidney… Click To Tweet
19. Diabetes: In a study published by Brain Research, showed that fish oils can not only help in reversing the root causes of type II diabetes oxidative stress but also showed effects on reducing the cognitive deficit by protecting the hippocampus cells from destroying.
20. Alzheimer’s Disease: Consistent research in the past several years has shown that fish oil fatty acids is vital for brain function. Omega-3 and Omega-6 prevent cognitive decline and brain atrophy in older adults.
21. Weight Loss: Fish oil has also been proven to be effective in aiding to weight loss. Greater weight loss has been shown in adults taking fish oil supplements through out there weight loss program compared to those who didn’t take fish oils. The majority of bodybuilders and gym rats swear by fish oils in improving blood circulation and tighten skin after weight loss. While there isn’t a direct correlation between the 2, it’s definitely worth it to note the praise it’s received by millions of users worldwide.
22. Improved Immunity: Fish oils aids in boosting your immune system helping in keeping your system regulated and fighting off common colds, coughs, and flu. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids have shown to be effective in controlling the amount of cytokines and eicosanoids in your body.
23. Anti-Inflammatory: Reducing inflammation in the body is vital for health. Fish oil fatty acids have shown to reduce inflammation. Why is this important? Because the majority of chronic illnesses are caused by inflammation, so finding a product such as fish oils that reduce chronic inflammation is very important to your overall health.
Those who find themselves with chronic inflammatory illnesses such as, gastrointestinal disorders, celiac disease, short bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis have found fish oils to be effective in treating these complications. A majority of these patients find it difficult to absorb essential vitamins and fats, so substituting fish oils can be really effective.
24. Arthritis: Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids have been found to treat arthritis, rheumatism, and Raynaud’s. Studies from Australia have reported showing positive effects of fish oils in treating arthritis and osteoarthritis reducing enzymes, which destroy cartilage.
25. Depression and Anxiety: The neurological benefits of fish oils are tremendous. From birth to old age fish oils can help in promoting a healthy brain and heart. Research has shown fish oils to help relieve depression, sadness, mental fatigue, stress, restlessness, decreased libido, and nervousness. Research has also shown positive of fish oils on Bipolar Disorder.
This correlation can further be established with a research study done on prisoners who were given seafood containing high amounts of Omega-3 and Omega-6. The study found a drastic decrease in the amounts of homicides and frequency of violence.
26. Eye Disorders: A pretty well-known fact that has been around for ages is the ability of fish oil in improving vision. Further research has also shown fish oils in avoiding macular degeneration.
27. Skin Care: The EPA in fish oil has shown to improve skin dryness and adding vibrant tone to the skin. The EPA present in fish oils helps produce arachidonic acid in the skin helping in treating illnesses such as eczema. Psoriasis, itching, redness, rashes, and skin lesions.
28. Hair Care: Omega-3 fatty acids have shown to have hair growth capabilities providing nourishment to hair follicles. Fish oil for hair growth is common due to its good supply of protein, but fish oil also prevents hair loss. Having fish oils in your diet can add to a vibrant, healthy, and strong hair. Hair follicles need a good amount of protein, so fish oils are a wonderful intake in helping keep healthy hair.
29. Blood Circulation: Ask the majority of a nutritionist and you will commonly hear about the positive effects fish oil has on circulating your blood. Omega-3 and Omega-6 also reduce triglyceride and serum cholesterol levels. While millions struggle to find natural alternatives to improving blood circulation throughout their bodies, others have indulged in the fish oil benefits that help the overall flow of your blood throughout your body.
Weight lifters have also started to feel better “pump” when weight lifting after taking fish oil.
30. Acne: The EPA found in fish oils has been shown to be an effective treatment for acne. What the EPA does for your face is inhibit androgen formation, which affects the formation of sebum in hair follicle leading to acne. This along with many other compounds is the reason that fish oil benefits those who suffer from acne, and has shown to be an effective natural remedy that can treat it too.
Also Read: Benefits of Turmeric
Note: This list is scratching the surface when it comes to naming all the uses and benefits of fish oil. The gradient of different uses and practical benefit it offers has led many to the conclusion below:
EPA/DHA vs. ALA
According to leading medical research omega-3 fats found in fish oils (EPA/DHA) have far better health benefits then Omega-3 fats found in beef and flax seeds (ALA).
Benefits of Fish Oil for Women
Fish oil benefits for women range far and wide, with the most prevalent uses being the benefits fish oil provides to the hair, skin, and nails. On top of the external benefits it provides, there are tons of internal health boosts that the nutrient dense fish oil provides.
Most notably known for its preventative health properties, the benefits of fish oil for women outweigh many other high priced drugs in the market that claim to offer the same benefits. However, it isn’t a comparison, since fish oil contains natural omega fatty acids as well as many other potent vitamins, minerals and anti bacterial properties.
Among the other fish oil benefits for women is the fact that it’s extremely helpful for some pregnant women, mainly due to the DHA compound it contains. On top of this, it’s worth noting that the omega fatty acids found in fish oil have been effective in reducing miscarriages and other problems associated with childbirth.
While the benefits of fish oil for women vary depending on the person, on thing is for sure; there are plenty of fish oil benefits for everyone to benefit from.
Benefits of Fish Oil for Men
On top of being responsible for promoting overall body health and function, fish oil has also been proven to increase fertility in men as well as overall IQ and brain health. With that said, fish oil benefits not only the organs but also the mind.
Studies have found that fish oil benefits memory, prevents Alzheimer’s, relieves pain and even promotes heart health too. Many of the common ailments that we see plaguing men worldwide today can be effectively treated using fish oil. While many are still skeptical of its potency, the benefits that fish oil offers are worth taking a deeper look into.
It also improves joint strength, while removing arthritis and other causes of joint aches and pain. This can be accredited to its potent anti-inflammatory properties which make it a great natural remedy for joint weakness and pain. This goes hand in hand with the other fish oil benefits that can also be traced back to the potent pain relieving properties found in fish oil.
While boosting mental health and cognitive function is of the often overlooked benefits of fish oil, it is still regarded as one of the more important ones. From improving reaction time to accuracy and sharpness, the omega fatty acids it contains are parallel to none in nature when it comes to improving overall brain health.
Fish oil has also shown to reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer in men, provided with more research this can be further analyzed on a deeper level.
This is only scratching the surface, the benefits of fish oil for men range far and wide and much more are still being uncovered to this day.
Benefits of Fish Oil for Children
DHA, a compound found in fish oil, benefits and promotes healthy brain development for children and adults alike. It is also currently being explored as a natural remedy for autism.
ADHD, a common sign of Omega-3 deficiency, is among the most well known natural benefits of fish oil that are known to help. Since it’s low risk with no side effects, fish oil is a great alternative to many of today’s’ potentially addictive ADHD medicine that many hyperactive kids are prescribed with.
While it’s most notorious for helping children diagnosed with ADHD, it has also shown to help any hyperactive children in varying degrees. One thing is for certain; the benefits fish oil offers to extend far beyond the external and internal, going deep into the physiological development and filling voids that we have yet to discover today.
Fish Oil Purity: Quality of fish oil should be checked when purchasing fish oils. The majority of fish oil is obtained by fish in fresh water, farm, or ocean, which can be contaminated with toxic compounds such as mercury, arsenic, lead, and other forms of compounds. Finding a pure fish oil can be refined by searching for companies, which sell ultra refined fish oils.
There are many companies who sell pure fish oils, just make sure you do your research before buying.
Also read: Green Coffee Bean Extract Benefits
How to Use Fish Oils: When taking fish oils one must consider their BMI and potency level of the fish oils. The main objective is to try and have a balanced approach to your intake of fish oil supplements. For a majority of people 1.000mg of fish oil daily is the most effective amount.
To improve overall health and vitality adding fish oil to your diet can be great. Heart, brain, skin, hair, are just a few elements that fish oils will help take care of. Overall health consists of a healthy diet and exercising daily. Even walking around your neighborhood can have tremendous health effects to your life.
Conclusion: As you can see throughout this article fish oil supplements can have a variety of benefits for a variety illnesses and complications. Indirectly fish oil can help in ways and issues that you haven’t thought of. Its far-reaching benefits can support a good quality of life and help elevate certain problems. Most importantly fish oil will enhance your overall health and lifestyle.
Share your thoughts below: What do you use fish oil for?