A lack of Omega-3 and Omega-6 can result in the following illnesses:
- Obesity– a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have a negative effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and health problems. Obesity is now a global epidemic that is plaguing millions of families, it’s worth considering the benefits of fish oil when looking at the pros & cons it has to offer.
- Heart Disease– Another great benefit of fish oil is it’s ability to promote healthy heart health; from heart disease, such as coronary heart disease, heart attack, congestive heart failure, and congenital heart disease, is the leading cause of death for men and women in the U.S. Prevention includes quitting smoking, lowering cholesterol, controlling high blood pressure, maintaining a healthy weight, and exercising.
- Asthma– a condition in which your airways narrow and swell and produce extra mucus. This can make breathing difficult and trigger coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. For some people, asthma is a minor nuisance. For others, it can be a major problem that interferes with daily activities and may lead to a life-threatening asthma attack.
- Cancer- also called malignancy is an abnormal growth of cells. Fish oil has proven to be an effective natural remedy in the treatment of some cancers. There are more than 100 types of cancer, including breast cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and lymphoma. While there isn’t any concrete evidence that states fish oil benefits cancer patients, it’s definitely worth looking into when comparing it against the more prevalent cancer treatment programs offered in today’s medical healthcare industry.
- Metabolic syndrome- is a cluster of conditions — increased blood pressure, a high blood sugar level, excess body fat around the waist and abnormal cholesterol levels — that occur together, increasing your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Fish oil can help treat all of these to a certain degree; however it’s worth consulting your doctor first if you have any combination of these ailments.
- Type II diabetes- once known as adult-onset or noninsulin-dependent diabetes, is a chronic condition that affects the way your body metabolizes sugar (glucose), your body’s important source of fuel.
- Autoimmune Disease- can cause abnormally low activity or over activity of the immune system. In cases of immune system over activity, the body attacks and damages its own tissues (autoimmune diseases). Immune deficiency diseases decrease the body’s ability to fight invaders, causing vulnerability to infections.
- Macular degeneration- is caused by the deterioration of the central portion of the retina, the inside back layer of the eye that records the images we see and sends them via the optic nerve from the eye to the brain. The retina’s central portion, known as the macula, is responsible for focusing central vision in the eye, and it controls our ability to read, drive a car, recognize faces or colors, and see objects in fine detail.
- Arthritis- common arthritis symptoms of pain and stiffness are usually caused by degenerative arthritis (osteoarthritis). The more than 100 types of arthritis include rheumatoid arthritis and gout. A diagnosis is necessary in order to develop a treatment plan. Many people have found fish oil to be an extremely effective natural remedy for arthritis, as well as different types of joint pain. This can likely be traced back to the potent anti-inflammatory properties that are found in fish oil.
11. Pregnancy: According to leading research fish oil is very beneficial in pregnancy due to its DHA compound, which helps in the development of the eyes and brain. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats has also shown to help in the decrease of miscarriages, premature births, and low birth weight.
12. Depression after Birth: EPA and DHA have shown to reduce and be effective in elevating depression in cases where women lacked Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats. The positive effects on eyes and brain function has translated in mothers taking fish oils to produce children with enhanced hand and eye coordination.
13. Fertility: Research has shown boars with diets high in fish oil had enhanced healthy sperm count. While it varies person to person, the benefits fish oil offer when it comes to fertility are definitely worth investigating further. Many have claimed it to be the reason for their fertility to increase drastically since beginning to consume the oil.
14. Cholesterol level support: Having fish oils in your diet results in healthier cholesterol ratios. Adding 3-6 grams of fish oils promote healthy HDL and LDL ratios.
17. ADHD: Inattention, hyperactivity, restlessness, and impulsive behavior are all common symptoms of ADHD. Before throwing your kids on heavy medications like Adderall, try adding fish oils to their diet. According to research due to its effects on brain function, fish oils have been proven to be effective on ADHD. 60% of the brain is composed of fats, with the most amounts being polyunsaturated Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids.
Also Read: Benefits of Probiotics
18. Cancer: According to research fish oils have been proven to kill various cancers such as, colon, prostate, and breast cancer. EPA/DHA have been found to be the primary reason for the decrease risk of prostate cancer. Even with the onset of cancer, fish oils have improved depression, digestion, liver, and kidney toxicity.Even with the onset of cancer, fish oils have improved depression, digestion, liver, and kidney… Click To Tweet
19. Diabetes: In a study published by Brain Research, showed that fish oils can not only help in reversing the root causes of type II diabetes oxidative stress, but also showed effects on reducing cognitive deficit by protecting the hippocampus cells from destroying.
20. Alzheimer’s Disease: Consistent research in the past several years has shown that fish oil fatty acids is vital for brain function. Omega-3 and Omega-6 prevent cognitive decline and brain atrophy in older adults.
21. Weight Loss: Fish oil has also been proven to be effective in aiding to weight loss. Greater weight loss has been shown in adults taking fish oil supplements through out there weight loss program compared to those who didn’t take fish oils. Majority of bodybuilders and gym rats swear by fish oils in improving blood circulation and tighter skin after weight loss. While there isn’t a direct correlation between the 2, it’s definitely worth it to note the praise it’s received by millions of users worldwide.
22. Improved Immunity: Fish oils aids in boosting your immune system helping in keeping your system regulated and fighting off common colds, coughs, and flu. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids have shown to be effective in controlling the amount of cytokines and eicosanoids in your body.
23. Anti-Inflammatory: Reducing inflammation in the body is vital for health. Fish oil fatty acids have shown to reduce inflammation. Why is this important? Because majority of chronic illnesses are caused by inflammation, so finding a product such as fish oils that reduce chronic inflammation is very important to your overall health.
Those who find themselves with chronic inflammatory illnesses such as, gastrointestinal disorders, celiac disease, short bowl syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis have found fish oils to be effective in treating these complications. Majority of these patients find it difficult to absorb essential vitamins and fats, so substituting fish oils can be really effective.
24. Arthritis: Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids have been found to treat arthritis, rheumatism, and Raynaud’s. Studies from Australia have reported to show positive effects of fish oils in treating arthritis and osteoarthritis reducing enzymes, which destroy cartilage.
25. Depression and Anxiety: The neurological benefits of fish oils are tremendous. From birth to old age fish oils can help in promoting a healthy brain and heart. Research has shown fish oils to help relieve depression, sadness, mental fatigue, stress, restlessness, decreased libido, and nervousness. Research has also shown positive of fish oils on Bipolar Disorder.
This correlation can further be established with a research study done on prisoners who were given seafood containing high amounts of Omega-3 and Omega-6. The study found a drastic decrease in the amounts of homicides and frequency of violence.
26. Eye Disorders: A pretty well known fact that has been around for ages is the ability of fish oil in improving vision. Further research has also shown fish oils in avoiding macular degeneration.
27. Skin Care: The EPA in fish oil has shown to improve skin dryness and adding vibrant tone to the skin. The EPA present in fish oils helps produce arachidonic acid in the skin helping in treating illnesses such as eczema. Psoriasis, itching, redness, rashes, and skin lesions.
28. Hair Care: Omega-3 fatty acids have shown to have hair growth capabilities providing nourishment to hair follicles. Fish oil for hair growth is common due to its good supply of protein, but fish oil also prevents hair loss. Having fish oils in your diet can add to a vibrant, healthy, and strong hair. Hair follicles need a good amount of protein, so fish oils are a wonderful intake in helping keep healthy hair.
29. Blood Circulation: Ask majority of nutritionist and you will commonly hear about the positive effects fish oil has on circulating your blood. Omega-3 and Omega-6 also reduce triglyceride and serum cholesterol levels. While millions struggle to find natural alternatives to improving blood circulation throughout their bodies, others have indulged in the fish oil benefits that help the overall flow of your blood throughout your body.
Weight lifters have also stated to feel better “pump” when weightlifting after taking fish oil.
30. Acne: The EPA found in fish oils has been shown to be effective treatment for acne. What the EPA does for your face is inhibit androgen formation, which affects the formation of sebum in hair follicle leading to acne. This along with many other compounds is the reason that fish oil benefits those who suffer from acne, and has shown to be an effective natural remedy that can treat it too.
Also Read: Benefits of Turmeric
Note: This list is scratching the surface when it comes to naming all the uses and benefits of fish oil. The gradient of different uses and practical benefit it offers has led many to the conclusion below:
EPA/DHA vs. ALA
According to leading medical research omega-3 fats found in fish oils (EPA/DHA) have far better health benefits then Omega-3 fats found in beef and flax seeds (ALA).
Benefits of Fish Oil for Women
Fish oil benefits for women range far and wide, with the most prevalent uses being the benefits fish oil provides to the hair, skin and nails. On top of the external benefits it provides, there are tons of internal health boosts that the nutrient dense fish oil provides.
Most notably known for it’s preventative health properties, the benefits of fish oil for women outweigh many other high priced drugs in the market that claim to offer the same benefits. However it isn’t a comparison, since fish oil contains natural omega fatty acids as well as many other potent vitamins, minerals and anti bacterial properties.
Among the other fish oil benefits for women is the fact that it’s extremely helpful for some pregnant women, mainly due to the DHA compound it contains. On top of this it’s worth noting that the omega fatty acids found in fish oil have been effective in reducing miscarriages and other problems associated with childbirth.
While the benefits of fish oil for women vary depending on the person, on thing is for sure; there are plenty of fish oil benefits for everyone to benefit from.
Benefits of Fish Oil for Men
On top of being responsible for promoting overall body health and function, fish oil has also been proven to increase fertility in men as well as overall IQ and brain health. With that said, fish oil benefits not only the organs but also the mind.
Studies have found that fish oil benefits memory, prevents Alzheimers, relieves pain and even promotes heart health too. Many of the common ailments that we see plaguing men worldwide today can be effectively treated using fish oil. While many are still skeptical of it’s potency, the benefits that fish oil offers are worth taking a deeper look into.
It also improves joint strength, while removing arthritis and other causes of joint aches and pain. This can be accredited to it’s potent anti-inflammatory properties which make it a great natural remedy for joint weakness and pain. This goes hand in hand with the other fish oil benefits that can also be traced back to the potent pain relieving properties found in fish oil.
While boosting mental health and cognitive function is of the often overlooked benefits of fish oil, it is still regarded as one of the more important one’s. From improving reaction time to accuracy and sharpness, the omega fatty acids it contains are parallel to none in nature when it comes to improving overall brain health.
This is only scratching the surface, the benefits of fish oil for men range far and wide and many more are still being uncovered to this day.
Benefits of Fish Oil for Children
DHA, a compound found in fish oil, benefits and promotes healthy brain development for children and adults alike. It is also currently being explored as a natural remedy for autism.
ADHD, a common sign of Omega-3 deficiency, is among the most well known natural benefits of fish oil that are known to help. Since it’s low risk with no side effects, fish oil is a great alternative to many of todays’ potentially addictive ADHD medicine that many hyperactive kids are prescribed with.
While it’s most notorious for helping children diagnosed with ADHD, it has also shown to help any hyperactive children in varying degrees. One thing is for certain; the benefits fish oil offer extend far beyond the external and internal, going deep into the physiological development and filling voids that we have yet do discover today.
Fish Oil Purity: Quality of fish oil should be checked when purchasing fish oils. Majority of fish oil is obtained by fish in fresh water, farm, or ocean, which can be contaminated with toxic compounds such as mercury, arsenic, lead, and other forms of compounds. Finding a pure fish oil can be refined by searching for companies, which sell ultra refined fish oils.
There are many companies who sell pure fish oils, just make sure you do your research before buying.
Also read: Green Coffee Bean Extract Benefits
How to Use Fish Oils: When taking fish oils one must consider their BMI and potency level of the fish oils. The main objective is to try and have a balanced approach to your intake of fish oil supplements. For majority of people 1.000mg of fish oil daily is the most effective amount.
To improve overall health and vitality adding fish oil to your diet can be great. Heart, brain, skin, hair, are just a few elements that fish oils will help take care of. Overall health consists of a healthy diet and exercising daily. Even walking around your neighborhood can have tremendous health effects to your life.
Conclusion: As you can see throughout this article fish oil supplements can have a variety of benefits for a variety illnesses and complications. Indirectly fish oil can help in ways and issues that you haven’t thought of. Its far-reaching benefits can support a good quality of life and help elevate certain problems. Most importantly fish oil will enhance your overall health and lifestyle.
Share your thoughts below: What do you use fish oil for?